Look Through My Eyes and See What I See

Just my thoughts, my beliefs, my opinions, and my truths. Please post. I invite conversation. Don't want to post online...that's cool. Email your comments to kiagsmith@gmail.com.

Friday, January 08, 2010

Write the Vision Make It Plain

A few years ago when I was working with New Birth's Teen Parent Ministry, we did an activity where we were suppose to visualize the life we wanted, cut out pictures that reflected that life, and glue them to a large sheet of construction paper. This construction paper was supposed to be our inspiration to create the life we wanted. That one activity took me to Habakkuk 2:2 which reads: "Write the vision, and make it plainā€¦" This board was my vision. I was making it plain so that God could add His super to my natural and manifest it.

It wasn't until around November 2009 that I learned that others were also building these boards. As I was tweeting, I learned that @ninabrown and her friends would get together and have vision board parties. These events consisted of them gathering with poster boards, magazines, scissors, and glue sticks to cut and paste images that envisioned their future. Once I saw Nina's twitpics, I was reminded of the vision board I had done before and began planning to complete another one just in time for my 28th birthday. And while I went through the process of cutting out a number of images, I never got around to pasting them on a poster board. Instead they were placed in a bag where they would stay for the next 2 months.

Over the next two months, God really begin to perfect the vision I had for my life. I became less caught up on the stuff (i.e. Black Range Rover, big house, expensive jewelry, designer shoes) I had always imagined having and more focused on my purpose in this world. My priority switched to what God wanted me to give back to Him and this world, both which had given so much to me. By this time I learned that Nina Brown was hosting a citywide Vision Board Brunch at Justin's on New Year's Morning. This furthered inspired me to place my newfound vision on card board. And while I wasn't able to make the Vision Board Brunch, I was able to sponsor my own with my son. J

So when I awoke on New Years' morning and begin putting my vision board together with my son, a number of the images I cut out in November were no longer relevant to my life. Yes, I still wanted the Tiffany jewelry, the BMW, and the living room furnitureā€¦BUT it wasn't my priority for 2010. For me, 2010 was an opportunity to focus on things that would bring me lifelong happiness not temporary happiness. It was my opportunity to focus on rebuilding and improving my relationship with my God, my Father, my Creator, my Everything. It was my opportunity to become a better mother who was more in tuned to my son's needs. It was my opportunity to stop being petty and correct relationships with family and friends that had gone astray over the years. It was my opportunity to make myself a better, healthier, more fit, and more beautiful me. It was my opportunity to enjoy the NOW I was living in, which included my home, my singleness, and my financial situation, no matter how improved I wanted them to be in the future. It was my opportunity to use my God-give gifts and talents inspire and change the world I live in.

Since New Year's morning, my vision board has been sitting in my living room. Every day I walk by it and see my interpretation of God's vision for my life. Every day I see that vision board three things happen: 1) I am inspired to work harder toward the things on the board, 2) I am reminded to focus my prayers toward the things on that board, 3) and in spite of how bad things are going that day, I am reminded of the greatness of my future. And that gives me the strength to work through the hard times.

Everyone should create a vision board. It does great things as far as organizing and focusing in on your purpose and goals. Plus, once the vision comes into fruition, it provides a visual check list of all the things God has accomplished through you and for you.

Over the next month, I'm going to post how-to blogs on creating your vision board and hosting your own vision board brunch. By the end of this month, everyone reading should have their vision boards completed, and once you do, please send pictures to kiaspeaks@gmail.com.

I can't wait to see your vision come into fruition.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home